Wednesday, March 20, 2013

5th grade Tessellations

Fifth grade just finished up a lesson on tessellations.  Once again, I found inspiration on Pinterest and the many, many, post about tessellations.  I actually am a huge Escher fan, so I went looking for great examples of tessellations and found many on Pinterest.
I started the lesson by showing a cute short video about Tessellations which has a cartoon version of Escher sitting at his desk thinking and designing.
Here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F1RVwAQWUg
We also played a online tessellation game on the smartboard.
Here is that link:
http://www.shodor.org/interactivate/activities/Tessellate/
After we experimented, I showed the process of creating a tessellation with a 2 inch square of card stock.  I used my document camera and projector to show what I was doing.

Here is a handy video showing the process, if you haven't ever tried it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc4LGZwlcvs

Here are some finished works of art:
Trains

Cats!

Bats!

Razorbacks and Dinosaurs!

Faces!

Monsters!


Birds!



Moles with Hard Hats!



Roses!

Flying Pigs!






Some of my students wanted a challenge!  So, I had them create a one inch grid, cut a small shape out of card stock and trace it in each square, then create a value scale of one color for the background and a value scale of a different color for the small shape.  The value scales went opposite of each other.  It wasn't quite the definition of a tessellation, but the results were great!



She said this was her favorite project she has done all year! 

Ducks!

Foxes!

Fish!

Fish!

Dinosuars!

Fish!  This student wanting to leave one fish white to create emphasis!

Blue Dolphins and Green Frogs!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! The fist tessellation with the one left white is awesome! Very smart of that student! GREAT blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing those links! They will be a great help to my long term sub when i am on maternity leave... and a great resource for me, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm so excited to try out those sites. I've got something to share with you, also.

    I made up this song for my 5th graders-
    It's to the tune of the "Micky Mouse March".

    T-E-S-S-E-L-L-A-T-I-O-N-S
    Tessellations- have no gaps, Tessellations- no overlaps,
    Tessellations could be purple, blue, or pink,
    THEY MAKE YOU THINK!
    Tessellations have no gaps or any overlaps.
    T-E-S-S-E-L-L-A-T-I-O-N-S
    TESSELLATIONS!!!!!!!

    My class also does their design on a piece of iron-on paper and we iron them on to their very own "Tessellation T-shirts".
    But wait!! There's more!
    We then go to the lower classes at our school wearing out t-shirts, explain what tessellations are, and allow students to figure out what the designs are. Then we sing our song and have them join in.

    ReplyDelete