Tuesday, March 19, 2013

2nd grade Mandalas

I found a video posted on Pinterest that was about Mandalas and thought it would be a great lesson for my second graders.  We had one week until Spring Break and I wanted something that I could teach in a 50 minute lesson. 
Here is the link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g16B64myG-E
I liked the calming music and the idea that silence was needed to let your imagination take the lead.  I talked to the kids about the history and origin of mandalas before showing the video.  Then, after viewing the video, I instructed the kids that there would be no talking during our mandala project.  I handed out 7X7 in squares of paper, thin sharpies, and colored pencils.  We started together.  I drew the "seed" on my paper (the ground) using the document camera, then I had them start growing their mandalas.  I continued to draw a few more things to my example before getting up and walking around the room to assist where needed. 
















It was completely silent in my room during this activity!  It was so nice!  If someone finished, I let them grow a new mandala on scrap paper.  I love how they used familiar shapes, letters, and numbers in their mandalas.  They didn't add the color until they had finished the mandala sharpie lines and shapes.

2 comments:

  1. Woah! I did these with my second graders earlier this year, too, and your students' work looks very very very similar to mine. Check it out: http://msstepnick.weebly.com/5/post/2013/02/radial-designs1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true! I checked them out and they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete